Bread is one of my weaknesses.
I’m not anti-gluten or anything; I just prefer my carbs slathered in butter or soaking up the yolk of a rich eggs benedict… Mmmm… I was in the mood for toast this morning, but since I’ve been slacking with my gym sessions I knew I probably shouldn’t be that bad today. Then I remembered the avocado toast I had at Swingers Diner a few weeks ago…
Creamy avocado with a bright hint of lemon spread onto thick crunchy slices of multigrain bread with just a little heat from the chili pepper flakes sprinkled on top- this was not your stale and boring diner fare. Swingers’ avocado toast was filling, delicious, and a healthier alternative to other forms of toast, so I made a mental note to try making it at home. As it turns out, it’s pretty simple and easy!
- 1 slice of wholegrain bread (I used Powerseed by Dave’s Killer Bread)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- chili pepper flakes to taste
1. Measure out two tablespoons of olive oil into a small bowl. Cut lemon and squeeze juice into the olive oil. Add salt (the salt I used was a lemon and thyme blend) Mix and set aside.
2. Toast bread. This takes some real culinary skill, I know.
3. Slice open and pit avocado. Cut flesh with the tip of a knife and scoop out from the skin. Place into a small bowl.
4. Add olive oil and lemon mixture to bowl, and mash with a fork. I like some texture, so I kept it a little chunky. For a creamier spread, keep up the mashing.
5. Spread avocado mix evenly onto toast.
6. Add chili pepper flakes to your liking.
And voila! You’re done. I even had some avocado spread left over for future snackage.
That was easy enough, so I had time to grind up some beans and make myself a cup of pour over coffee.
And that’s it! Fast, simple, and tasty. Happy toasting!